ABOUT THE CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
DEVELOPING THE SKILLS OF YOUR EMPLOYEES
Employees graduating with the Home Support Worker certificate will be able to provide care to individuals in a community, retirement home or long term care facility, assist individuals with daily living routines and household management, nutrition and food preparation, maintain helping relationships with individuals and families, identify issues using basic assessment strategies and report findings, participate as a member of a care team, work within all the applicable legislation and employers policies and guidelines, provide care that is sensitive to family values, beliefs and need that follow the basic service plan.
- Home Support Worker Foundations: Person-Centred Care, Role of the Home Support Worker, Dimensions of Health Communication, Ethics and Confidentiality
- Health and Safety: PPE, Worker Safety, Agency Policy and Procedures, Personal Safety
- Health and Disease: Anatomy and Physiology, Diseases and Conditions, Managing Ongoing Conditions, Assessment Skills
- Home Care Client Support: Care Plan, Mobility, Personal Care Assistance and Grooming, Elimination and Toileting, Reporting and Recording
- Household Management: Time Management, How to Clean and Organize, Laundry, Bedmaking
- Nutrition and Meal Planning and Preparation, Ensuring healthy food and fluid intake, safely and hygienically assists with feeding, food handling and storage.
- Standard First Aid Certificate, AED and BLS Certification
- Food Handlers Training and Certification
- Mental Health First Aid Training and Certification